Friday, December 12, 2008

Guest Blog - Numero Seis

Check out the peice that I just found in my inbox this morning....

Hey! It’s Elizabeth … the little one. :)

I’m probably the last one to write a guest blog – sorry, dad – but writing isn’t my better subject and I definitely cannot write under pressure – DAD!! It takes me a little while and I have to ruminate about what I want to say. (Haha. Yeah, that was a vocab word a few weeks ago.) But anyway, here it goes …

I can’t believe it’s already been a whole year since you started this thing. Time flies! Everyone says it goes by faster as you get older, but it’s already wayyy too fast for me now. I’m a junior (‘010!!!) and scared to death of leaving high school. I kinda, sorta know what I want to be when I grow up – well I at least have it narrowed down to two choices and I have chosen the college that has both majors.

Work in a Crime Lab.
Be an Elementary Teacher (Kindergarten – Second Grade)

Now, before I state the college I would PREFER to attend … Yes, I know that these are two completely different things. But hey, who really goes to college and knows exactly what they want to do? Anyway, I’m actually taking a “class” that might help me decide whether to major in Biology or Elementary Education.

The Sheriff’s Department downtown offers all kinds of different Explorer Programs to help high-schoolers determine their major and whether they are really interested in it or not. The one I go to now is a Forensics class. It’s mostly hands on stuff so that you can really get the feel for it. As my dad has previously mentioned this includes dead bodies. No, we don’t actually physically see or touch them, but there were some pretty graphic pictures. And as for us actually getting to take the pictures (which actually I didn’t get to go that Tuesday) it wasn’t of real dead bodies. We were only going to practice proper angles at which to take pictures and what to take pictures of at the scene. Other lessons of the class include Ballistics, Evidence Collection and Fingerprints. They are also trying to set up a tour of the Crime Lab in Montgomery, which is where I would like to work – not as a CSI Photographer as my Dad wrongly mentioned.

On the other hand, teaching little kids would be so much fun!! Especially at a Christian private school because then I could not only teach them their ABC’s, but also about Jesus. :) Besides, I feel more led by God to teach.

The University of South Alabama offers both majors -- Biology and Elementary Education. So this would be the college of my choice. It is 177 miles from Montgomery and it takes about three hours to get there. An estimated cost of tuition per year is $5,500. This would be commuting of course. Editors note: commuting 177 miles each way per day is not an option. I guess I need to check into the on campus living costs. I could also apply for the Presidential Scholarship which ranges from $2,500 to $10,000 each year.

Now off the subject of my college options and back to the real reason I am writing this. Thanks, Dad for writing this and keeping up with what goes on around here. Yes, some things may be embarrassing, but I really appreciate it. I love you.

Love, Little E.

P.S. Sorry this is so long and that most of it is about me. I promise I’m not really that conceited.

No comments: