Sunday, February 1, 2009

Even more changes at the house ...

There have been plenty of documented changes going on at the Lee Household, but we've had a few additional changes that I probably should mention....

1. We got six more new windows installed this week. We replaced two sets across the front of the house. One set was so bad that I actually had a pair of ripped up jeans stuck down in the gaps trying to block the outside weather from coming inside. The new windows look good but highlight the other windows along the front that we're not changed, so we will be saving like dogs to get those windows replaced soon.

2. Along with new windows comes new window treatments (must be a female thing?). We purchased faux wood blinds for the new windows. In addition, we bought the same blinds to go on the door so that it matches the windows. I have to admit that the difference looks really good from the street. In addition, it should help with heating and cooling costs as these windows were the ones for the play and computer rooms (two VERY used rooms). We better see some cost benefit from all of these new windows (nine so far since Christmas, maybe some tax break?).

3. My eyes continue to improve. Most of the haziness is gone. I can tell that they are not fully stabilized as my I now can tell that distance judgement is totally off. Its hard for me to think that after 30+ years of playing baseball and softball, I dont think I could catch a fly ball now to save my life. The doctor said that this will improve but could take upwards to four months.

4. Big day for the household today. Elizabeth was inducted into the National Honors Society today at her school. They had a short ceremony for the seventeen kids being inducted from their school this year. To be honest, Elizabeth and I underestimated this acheivement and had really downplayed it as nothing more than a "geekfest" until the ceremony and seeing the production. Actually its pretty cool to think that Little E is in the top 2-3% of her junior class. Maybe we will see a little college tuition help?

5. Speaking of saving money, are you cutting your coupons and shopping the sales. Since Christmas, I have become VERY diligent about cutting coupons and shopping the grocery bargains. With the economy worsening, we dont have a lot of choice. In addition to changing our shopping habits, we have also dramatically cut down on our eating out for dinner. The savings compared to eating out is tremendous for a family of five (that one is obvious) BUT in addition to those savings, I am also averaging around 40-45% on our grocery and health products bill a month. In reality, we are spending less on food and health products despite the increase in expenses with Little E moving in full time and the increased eating at home. If you are looking for some starter tips, check out a few of the links to other blogs on this site (Jane is good, The Thrifty Momma is awesome).

Its Super Bowl Sunday, Big E is pulling for the Cards and I am pulling for the Steelers. Regardless of who wins, the real winner is the channel showing the game. With advertisements costing 3.5 million for 30 seconds, someone (not me) is making a little money. It will be interesting to see the companies that are advertising during the game and comparing that to the current state of that company!!! I better not see any "bailout" companies advertising!

For my brother-in-law Chuck, I hope the Coach Potato to 5K program is still going strong and working. I've been a little off track the last couple of days but I will be starting week 2 of the program this week. Our first 5K of the year is coming up on February 21. We are not going to be as far along as I had hoped but we will be participating. If I am able to run 5 minute runs with 2 minute walk intervals for the course, I will be very happy with myself. Big E will be running and we are bringing Little E along to defend her first place age group win from last year.

Speaking of excercise, I mentioned previously that Big E, two co-workers and I are particpating in the Shape Up Alabama competition. The goal is for each person to lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks. We are two weeks into the project and both Big E and I have managed to drop about 5 pounds each. For Big E, the loss is related to the excercise. For me, I think it is a combination of the limited excercise and cutting the "diet cokes" in half (except for this weekend, way too many diet cokes).

Enough rambling, I hope everyone enjoys the game tonight. I hope you have a great week because I plan on having one. I will try to post a couple of pictures from the Honors Society as soon as I get pictures. Until next time, try to avoid fried foods (by the way, great BBQ is not fried so it is all goooooooodddddddddd ............).

If you want to know more about great BBQ, check out the Southern BBQ trail. If you ever are in the mood for BBQ and need someone to eat with, call or email me. Trust me, I am available to BBQ and a diet coke pretty much 24 / 7!!!

No comments: