Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Note from Big E.....

Ok, so I wanted to just give everyone a quick update on the patient. Stephen is doing fine after his Lasik eye surgery. I will give a quick run down of how our morning went....

7:45am = Stephen gets to take his first Valium pill. This was to help with anxiousness he may have been feeling. I have to say that he did reall well. I could tell that he was a little nervous but all in all he was not as nervous as I thought he may have been.

8:00 am = We arrive at Montgomery Eye place. Stephen signs in and within 10 minutes that walk us back to the first room. Yes, I said us. I get to watch, oh yeah!!! The first room the nurse goes over the post procedure care. Lets just say in consists of, eye drops, eye drops, and more eye drops. We will be putting eye drops in every hour today, then 7-8 times a day for 3 different types of drops.

8:25am - We move to our second room. Stephen gets to put on a surgery cap. Man, this was awesome. I hate I didn't have the camera!! At one point he had it positioned so it would look like a beret hat. Hilarious!!! Here in this room they wiped his eyelids down with betadine and had some candles burning and some soft Latin-Mexican music playing in the background. Stephen asked if he was getting a complimentary massage before the event!!! yeah, on his eyelids maybe.

8:35am = Dr. Swann comes in the room to take one last look. Goes over what will be done says that the nurses gave him the thumbs up and the room is ready for him. Here we go!!! We go across the hall and Stephen goes into a smaller room. I stay in the little office area where there is a window for me to look in and also a TV on the wall. They tell me that I will be able to see them actually perform the procedure on his eye.

8:40am = They begin to create the "flap". This was cool!!!!! So on the TV screen all of a sudden I see this big 'ol eye appear!! It was freaky..... It was Stephen's eye. The flap process is the "laser" basically making a cut on his eyeball for the doctor to pull back so that the actual laser can do the correction. I am going to describe this as best as I can. On the screen his eye is there, then all of a sudden his eye starts turning fuzzy. Imagine a picture on the TV screen and a row of snow starting to go across so you can't see it. This was done on one eye, then the other. The flap had been created.
The next step begins, now that the flap is there, Dr. Swann puts one of his eyes back onto the TV screen and I see this needle thing start going towards the eye. I'm like OK, so far so good, and then it happens, imagine pulling a scab that has grown over a sore open and just laying it over. GROSS!!! I have to admit, my knees got a little weak on this. Then on the screen is what looks like a target off of a Playstation game for fighting airplanes. He literally is lining his eye up by using a joystick!! Then we hear the datdatdatdat. (laser sound) I see his pupil go from fuzzy to jet black then to the size of a pen top. EEKKK Then once this is done, the needle comes back out, flips the flap back over, liquid comes out of the needle as this is going on and he (the doc) is pushing the flap down onto the eye with the needle. Insert weak knees here!!
Then the dude brings out what looks like a little miniature squigee and starts raking it across Stephen's eyeball. OMG!!! Literally it was like watching a window washer washing a window!!!

8:50am = Both eyes finished, doc takes a look, says everything looks good and we are on our way back home.

9:10 am = We are home Stephen is starting to feel very uncomfortable. Valium #2 taken. The next 45 minutes he is patting his eyes and wishing he could go to sleep. About 10 minutes later the Valium must have kicked in because he got loopy and started snoring.....................

12:30pm = He wakes up and thinks it is 10:30am.

So far all is good!! I have taken some pictures since we have been home but I will let him put those up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Way to go Baby Girl. Way to go to Stevie Boy, when I saw that needle, I don't know. You did good.
Baby Girl you did a good job giving the news.

Favorite Mom &
Favorite Mother-n-law