Friday, November 14, 2008

Its like drunk typing without the alcohol ....

It'll all make sense later. Until then, here is a little update on the last few days.

Jessica took the ACT again and upped her score to a 22. We were hoping for a little better score but it is a better score than the first time. I can't really say too much about the score, as I didn't get close to that number years ago.

Speaking of Jessica, we recently changed her from a standard diabetes management process to the new Omnipod Insulin management system. This is some pretty cool technology (which is also code for expensive). The good news is that the new system is having some very positive effects on her daily life and general well being. Hopefully, this will equate to a year without emergency room trips (that is the break even point financially) and a lot more food freedom for her.

No real update on the other two girls. No news can be good news sometimes.

I took yesterday and today off work. I maxed out my paid time off (PTO) and figured I probably should try using it rather than losing it. Since I had a couple of "easy" days I decided to get a couple of Stephen things done.

The first and most important thing to do was to fix this computer. I've had no more than two gig of available hard drive space now for several months. So I finally broke down and bought a new external hard drive (500 GB!!!). With the new drive, I spent a large portion of day one moving data (music and pictures) to the new hard drive. With the new found free space on the main drive, I finally got around to updating Windows to service pack 3 and defragging the hard drive. It is amazing how much better a computer will run when it gets a little basic maintenance.

Second, I took the time to complete one of my favorite computer games; Heroes of Might and Magic V. I've been playing the game for nearly a year (expansion packs, etc). It was cool to finally see the end of the story.

Third, I took the animals to visit the vet. Yogi got is bi-annual shaving (Elizabeth is too scarred to shave him herself). The vet said he required a double dose of anaesthesia due to his weight problem. If you ask me the cat doesn't have a problem with weight, at twenty pounds, I'd say he has mastered it. The vet actually suggested that we put him on diabetic cat food or that we change him to canned cat food to avoid the carbohydrates, "it would be like putting him on the Aitkens diet".

Rusty is getting over a couple of infections. At this point he is only taking 5 or 6 pills a day.

My main man BooBoo didn't have to go to the vet though. Mainly because I am too scarred to take him. A. The vet would freak to learn how long its been since he has been to a vet and B. It would be a traumatic moment for BooBoo and I don't think he has too many lives left.

All in all a great first day off.

Today, I played a little Tiger Woods Golf 2007 on the Playstation. Then I went and ate lunch with Big E and some of the guys from work. Finally, I had a pre-op exam.

Now, before some of your minds start to wander too much, I have been thinking about having a little surgery done for a while but I didn't want to say anything until all of the bases were covered. On the 15th of January, I am going to have iLasik surgery. This is the newest of the eye surgery's to fix vision. This version of eye surgery has been approved by both the Air force and NASA for their pilots because it does not require a manual incision to be made by the doctor (where the majority of the errors occur with microkeratome eye surgery).

Since I qualify for this version of the surgery and since we are already accustomed to having the money going into a medical flex accounts (we've bought braces for the last two years), we decided it was the best time for me to get this done.

Today, I had the pre-op exam to make sure that there wasn't anything obvious to prevent me from going forward. I needed to get it done now because I need to make the medical flex account decision (that is use it or lose it money) before next week. Part of the process today was to dilate my eyes to complete all of the measurements (to be done again in January right before the surgery). Now, two hours later, I still can not see worth a crap and the only thing I can relate it to is being typsy.

If you've ever had enough to drink that your vision was impaired, that is how I am seeing right now and I haven't even had a drop to drink.

I'll return soon with more information, until then get outside and collect those falling leaves to add to your compost pile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad (Lt. Col in the Air Force) had the Lasik procedure done over a year ago and he loves it. I wish I could get it done, but we have other money grubbing things in line first: food, bills, remodeling the house, clothes, etc.

I forgot Jessica had diabetes. That omnipod look intersting. One of my good friends is Courtney Benefiel who writes at ridetoremedy.com about her diabetes and her athletic aspirations. She has a goal to ride in all Tour de Cures in the country.

Zwei Baby said...

Ok...I am SO jealous about the Lasik!! Josh gets a 1/2 price benefit through work with one of the Lasik places here but something always seems to snag up any extra money before I can get it done :)
Can't wait to hear what you think about after it's all said and done.

I'm happy to hear that Jessica is doing better with the new plan and the "no news is good news" for the other two!