Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloween Pumpkins

For Halloween, we decided to all carve pumpkins this year. I thought I would do a quick post of some of the cool pumpkins that we carved. So its post Halloween before I finally create the post.
This first set of photos is a quick look at the steps to carve a pumpkin. Now, it is important to remember that we are not professional pumpkin carvers, so if you are looking for money winning creations go somewhere else.

Step One: Cut the top of the pumpkin and remove the gooey insides. Of course, I had to do this for all of my girls.


Step Two: Draw your design on the pumpkin.



Step Three: Carve the pumpkin. Sounds simple huh? Actually step three took me nearly two hours on this pumpkin. Before you carve, you need to outline your design with a toothpick. This will ease the saw blade through and help reduce the number of goofy cuts. For fun you can also try shading your design by removing layers of skin around the design to create shadow effects, etc.



Once you have completed the carving, coat all cuts with vaseline to prevent the loss of moisture from the cuts to help extend the life of the pumpkin. Here is the end result of my pumpkin.


Here are the other four pumpkins from the girls....
The coolest pumpkin of the year was by Jessica. It is a vampire biting is lady victim.

Little E went with a neat little flying bat for the season.
My lovely bride was a little more ambitious with her witch.

And last but definitely not least is the child friendly smiley face from Brooke. I really like the way the nose turned out with the shadow effect she carved.


I hope you enjoyed this cool little series of pictures. I hope that one day we get better about using the eight or ten cameras that we collectively own so I can do this type of post more often.

1 comment:

Zwei Baby said...

The pumpkins look fantastic...you guys are so creative!!