Tuesday, February 5, 2008

It was a little windy out there today ...

Two of our geniuses got up and went for a run this afternoon after school. I am proud of them for recognizing my great example and leadership (training for the 5K) and getting out there without any prodding. However, I hope that they remember to take a house key with them in the future.

Now on to the training update ...

As I casually mentioned in the last post, Big E and I will be participating in a 5K run on the 23rd of February. After completing that post, I realized that I only had twenty days to prepare my mind and body for this challenge. So, I decided that I needed to get started. If you are going to jump in, you might as well jump in feet first.

Sunday, I decided to take on the whole course right out to the gate. In my retarded way of thinking, I figured I might as well "baseline" my time to complete the 3.1 miles. Besides, Big E was not happy with me and I figured it would get me out of the house for a few minutes. Fifty-five minutes later, I returned home.

Again, this was my first time out the gate and I completed it!!!! The pace could be beaten by your average six year old, but I completed it and I didn't die.

Monday, I felt I belonged at the Arthritist Foundation, but I figured I would power through it with at least a half distance walk. Thank goodness I did, as I feel much better today.

Since I was feeling a little better today, I figured I better get out there and give it another go today. The wind was starting to pick up a little as I left the house and the clouds started to roll in but I figured I was safe for the effort. I went through my checklist

MP3 player ... check!
new tight running shirt ... check!
hat ... check!
Redman ... check!
pride, ambition, and desire to get better ... check!
Stretched muscles ... overrated!

and off I went!

Somewhere around the half mile point, I decided I was ready to turn it up a notch and RUN!! Around the mile point, I figured I would try it again. It went a little better even though I was running into the wind. Since I didn't feel the need to puke, I decided to throw in small bursts of running sporadically into the walk.

Around the two and half mile point, I kicked it in bringing back the memories of more youthful days when I could round the bases quicker than a hiccup. Feeling great, I fixed my eyes on a still object and tried to gauge my speed. Smiling, I felt my chest poked out an inch further and with my head held high as if I was finishing in first place, I saw a plastic bag pass me and continue to out pace me for another twenty to thirty yards. Deflated, I returned home.

It was a little windy out there today ... despite what the weather man might tell.

That probably won't be the last or funniest story about my "training" but I promise to bring each one to you.

1 comment:

Zwei Baby said...

This stuff just keeps getting better and better!
Thanks for the laugh!