Friday, December 7, 2007

There and back again ...

So, I am a little behind on the weekly update. I've been traveling this week through the great state of Georgia. Before you get excited for me, this wasn't for pleasure, it was for work. Although, it was nice to be away from the office, the nearly eight hundred miles that I spent driving from small town to next small town was more taxing than being in the office. I did enjoy meeting the various people along the way.


Jessica turned seventeen on Wednesday. All birthdays are big days at her age, so I hate that I wasn't here to celebrate. Luckily it wasnt a big number, like sixteen or twenty, etc. As is our tradition, the birthday girl gets to choose the location for her birthday dinner. As is usual, they ate at the Kabuki resteraunt. I dont know what it is about our girls, but they eat more "ethnic" food than they do "American" food.


As for Lit bit, that girl snagged herself a boyfriend. A boyfriend!!! I shouldn't be surprised, but this is her first boyfriend (at least that I know about). I hope he remembers what I told him ... I aint afraid to go back to prison.


Lastly, tryouts for the track team were this week. I am very proud to say that Brook made the team again this year. I doubt we will see a 6:00 minute mile, but I bet she will try her best.

Another week (or two) with good news, the girls are doing good and they havent convinced Big E to string me up for the insurance money. Thats a good week!!


Now, for the two fun items of the week ...

First, on Friday night, I was able to get away a "boys night out". I friend of mine and his band were playing at a local dive. The "Honky Tonk Hustlas" play a cool blend of old school honky tonk music with a modern day "we dont give a ...." attitude. Most of the songs are about drinking, drugging, mean old women, and other heart breaking issues like a screwed up tatoo or something. If you recorded the music and played it backwards, the dog would return, the truck would run, and their wife would be happy (HA HA HA that is some funny crap right there). Anyway, look these guys up on MySpace and give them a listen (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=168869931).


You know, its pretty damn (sorry momma) scary that at 38, I am actually starting to listen to the same kind of music that my daddy listens. I dont know if its because I am acutally starting to understand the music, if the alcohol has kicked in, or if its just a cool trend?? Hell (again, sorry momma), I still love heavy music, but I think my ears are starting to get old and slow????


Now, Big E made it clear before I left that I needed to take it "easy", so I listened and did as I was told (wink and nod). Her reasoning was that I needed to be home before the girls, so I could meet this young man (Elizabeth's boyfriend).

Her real reason was that ...



We were going to see Keith Urban in concert on Saturday. For anyone that knows Big E, then you know about her "love affair" with Keith Urban. I dont know what she sees in him; great accent, nice body (apparently he fills out his jeans well), great looks, good music, money, talent, OK so maybe he has a couple of things that I dont? Anyway, she was lucky enough to get seats on the thirtenth row, five seats from the "catwalk" stage that extended out from the regular stage.


This was her second time to see Keith this year. If you've ever seen old movies of girls going to see the Beatles or Elvis; well, then you've seen Elizabeth's reaction to being at a Keith Urban show. As for me, I drank a six pack before entering the venue and at least that many during the show. Like I said last time, this is my opportunity to be excused from drinking too much and staring at other women.


Upon arrival, there was a high school drum corp playing outside the venue (actually, they were warming up for their on stage performance during one of Keith's songs). Elizabeth was in a hurry to get inside as she wanted to know how close she was to the "catwalk" stage. The level of excitement was quickly turned up a notch when she realized that she was close enough to almost "touch" him.

"Almost touch him" .....

Throughout the show, Keith would run up and down that catwalk stage, and she would try to stretch out her hand to no avail. Finally, during the encore she had enough. With one swoop, she was on top of the chair for the person in seat 1 and she touched him. WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She touched Keith Urban....

For the two hour drive home, all I heard about was her touching Keith Urban!!! Luckily I was able to sleep for most of the drive but I could still hear her telling me about the sweaty touch. In life, it is often the simple things that count. That touch, as simple as it sounds was her brush with greatness, and I can understand and accept it.

Lastly, with Christmas just around the corner, I hope everyone can remember that there are those that are not as fortunate as the rest of us. I want to send a shout out to everyone that works in the same area as Elizabeth. Their teams "adopted" two famalies in need and managed to raise around 1500 dollars to provide a Christmas for each of the families. That is awesome!!!

I'll see you next week. Until then remember that while some weeks are slow at the Lee house, there is always some level of excitement, and me, the dog and the cats need your prayers.


No comments: