Thursday, November 8, 2007

A break from reality ...

Over the past week, our little tribe of misfits (those in the house with an X chromosome) have had one amazing ride. To their credit, the girls have handled it really well. I wish I could say the same ...

It started a couple of weeks ago, when we took "Big Blue", a 2001 Dodge Intrepid, in for a check up. There was this really loud knocking noise under the hood. Now ,when the mechanic tells you that its time to buy a new car, that is bad!!

So we began the research process. After researching our options, we decided that a compact SUV was the preferred choice. To understand this decision, we must refer back to one of the Lee house rules. This is not a democracy and if it vote is required, all girls will vote the same.

While out looking at and test driving compact SUVs, Big E spots a PT Cruiser convertible.

The night before the big purchase, I was telling the poker gang about her finding this car and I told them that there was no way we were buying that car. I mean, we had spent the past couple of weeks researching compact SUVs and other "mommy" style cars.

So the next day, we are at the dealership filling out the paper work on that convertible. She is so proud of her little "gangster" car.

Foiled again.

Now, rather than boring you with the details of some of our other fun, lets just say that we had several other minor (no hospital trips required) issues leading up to the next big one.

On Thursday of last week, Big E and I were enjoying a rare moment without the girls running a few errands in the "gangster" car (Yes, the top was down) when the phone rang. If you have teenage drivers, you dread but expect this call. Sure enough, Jessica was in an accident.

I knew that it was something bad because that little "gangster" car went from 25 mph to 100 mph in a matter of seconds. Ok, actually, that car cant go from anything to 100 mph in seconds but we were going really fast and Big E was a little frantic. Thats like a double dose of "you better be scared" for me.

All three of the girls were fine, minor cuts and bruises, but no trips to the doctor or hospital required and everyone in the other vehicle was fine too. BUT ... Jessica's car was not fine. In fact, her car was at least two inches shorter. Remember what happens if a mechanic tells you its time for a new car? Same for the body shop guys!!!

By this time, I felt like I was in the 10th round of a bare knuckles fight with reality and reality was obviously winning. When it comes to stress in the household, Big E is definitely the rock and I am merely a peeble. I needed a break from reality ....

Understand, I am not complaining about any of those events. The reality is that those events are all a part of this great life that I am living, but every now and again I need a break from them.

This time that break came in the form of a night out with some like minded music freaks. Last night, I went to see Reverend Horton Heat and Hank III live. The Hank III show was a first for me. I must admit that I dont regularly listen to his music, but it was a fun set and I was impressed by his ability to whip the crowd into a frenzy with honky tonk sing-a-longs and hardcore grind music.

Following that set was "the Rev". This was my fourth time to see his show and I continue to be impressed by this bands live concerts. I highly recommend his show to anyone that likes the psychobilly or hellbilly sound. In addition, I also recommend this bands Christmas music album. That might sound a little strange considering, but the band was VERY respectful of the songs, simply "kicking them up a notch" as Emeril would say.

I really want to thank the tribe at home for letting me go out and blow off a little steam. I also want to thank the concert gang for dragging me out to the show. I really wasnt in the mood for a concert, but that break from reality was just what I needed ...

Life can be a lot like tying to hit a baseball. Sometimes the pitcher grooves one and you hit a home run, sometimes he throws you a curve ball and you look a little goofy and sometimes he hits you in the head just to let you know that he has the ball first. When that happens, steal second on the next pitch after you've been hit.

No comments: