Saturday, August 23, 2008

Getting the job done ...

Alright, I am home. Actually I got home around 7:00 last night. Amazingly, I didn't run into any rain on the way home. However, it's been raining ever since and shows no signs of letting up.

Rusty was so excited for me to be home that we had to go through our normal routine of throwing the ball in the yard. Everyday he will greet me at the door for a little playtime outside. Last night, he not only greeted me, but he demanded a little playtime. In fact, he interupted a little "us time" between Elizabeth and I to insure that he got his necessary attention first (now that is love or selfishness).

A big shout out to my wonderful bride who had restocked the refrigerator for me. After the drive home, I was really hoping for a cold one and I was not disappointed when I got home. Liquid dinner and bed, just what the doctor ordered.

I got a few things to go through today, so here is the conclusion to my work week:

Friday: Batesville and Hernando

Friday, we had what the worst installation of the summer. How about that for timing, finish with the worst install. Something went wrong at every turn. However, the agent and his family was very understanding and supportive through the whole thing, so it worked out just fine.

For lunch we ate at a local sports bar / dive / dump called Loves. This place was huge and apparently is visited by many professional sports people as there were pictures and autographs of hundreds of athletes lining the walls all made out to the owner or the restaurant (many actually taken at the restaurant). For lunch, I ate: Spaghetti, fried okra, fried okra (yes, two helpings of one of my favorites), and slaw. How is that for a meat and three? I question the cleanliness of the place, but the food was awesome.

The ride home went a little like this: Southhaven (a suburb of Memphis), Oxford, Tupelo (two Elvis sightings!!!), Jasper (I made a wrong turn), Sumiton (same wrong turn), Birmingham (only for a minute), Clanton (a quick potty stop) and Montgomery. There were hundreds of little towns along the way too.

Bottom line: I'm done. We have four more installations next week but that is being handled by one of the other guys. Now I get the dubious job of putting together the financial analysis of the project with go forward cost savings, etc. That should make for a nice little presentation.

One final word about the summer road trip: I now have a lifetime supply of shampoo, soap, etc. How's that for green, I took all the little bottles that the hotels offered. Actually, me and the guys have a special plan for these items for our work mates. Should be fun.

Now, to address a few of the previous comments, I was working while on the road! However, nobody wants to read the details about a network conversion and computer installation (unless you are truly lonely and bored), so I decided to write about the locations and food instead. In addition to driving, working and eating, I also found a little time to do some shopping on Thursday. There is a really small factory outlet center in Batesville, so I picked up a waffle maker, some really cool "flat" measuring cups and a microfiber duster (more on this guy later).

Mom and the girls have all been running errands and what not today. This has been a little blessing for me. I've managed to watch a movie (The Gladiator), and do nothing but hang with Rusty. This dog is cracking me up today, as he has not left my side all day. I was hoping to cut the grass, edge, and all of that stuff but the rain has sort of dampened (pun!!!!) that idea.

I think I am going to take them out for a really nice dinner tonight and send the bill to Alfa. That would be cool!!!

Lets get caught up on a few things around the house now.

The bathroom is done. I posted pictures of that last week. It wasn't free by any means to have that tile work done, but it was worth every penny!! That bathroom looks so much better now. It makes me wish we could afford to do our bathroom too.

This week, Elizabeth informed that she had Pella Windows come out to measure the windows and give us an estimate on replacing them. We really need to replace the windows, but why does she have to wait till I am gone to plan this stuff? We have ten windows on the front of the house alone (plus another 10 around the rest of the house). Plus, if we replace the windows, that will lead to painting the house or vinyl siding, etc. Either way, more money and work for me. I really love that woman, but can't I just spend the next couple of weeks playing golf, finishing other projects, finishing JR and Kim's bathroom, etc.

The girls started back to school last week, or the week before, I don't remember. Also, our niece started Troy State University in Montgomery. So the house should be getting back to a normal routine. That also means that I should start having more stories about the girls.

Speaking of the girls, they have started a little tradition this summer as a strike against my OCD. OK, so I admit that I am a little OCD about various things; don't leave crap laying around, don't mess with my stuff, and poker chips should be neatly stacked according to denomination. One of the biggest, "don't mess with my stuff" areas is my computer and computer desk. We bought a second computer just so the girls could have one and leave mine and the surrounding area alone.

Throughout the summer, my area has been invaded and they have enjoyed leaving me a little something with each return visit. Ultimately, they settled on combining two of my favorite things and posting it on my desktop. I love professional wrestling, something that has intrigued me since I was a kid watching good ole wrassling on Saturday mornings taped live right here in "Monkey Town, Alabama".

I really like the Mexican and Japanese wrestling events that incorporate the high-flying, fast paced, and ornately dressed "luchadors". Every masked wrestler has a story and most are very protective of the mask and the history behind it.

Apparently there is a group of people that find it fun to dress there dogs like little luchadors. So each week I have returned home to find the picture on my computer's desktop to be graced by a different "wrestler". Check out these photos:




This dog is wearing what appears to be an actual mask. I believe this one would be a Japanese wrestler by the design.


I love this picture. What amazes me is that the dog and the costume really work together. Look at that face!!! I don't know who the costume is patterned after, but it works for this little guy.


OK, so if your going to put a costume on the dog, make sure it is at least a tuff little guy. Look at this little thing, its too cute to take seriously.


Serious or not, Sumo dog is awesome. Next time, at least remove the tag for the costume though.



This is Big E's favorite. That poor dog's eyes tell the whole story ... "I need a new owner!"

Want your own mask, try this website: Highspots. This is where I got my mask. I refer to my alter-ego as "El Shocko", since it is so shocking to see me coming at ya!!!!! Anyway, send me any links related to lucha-libre, masks or Mexican inspired art (particularly related to the March of the Dead ceremonies) or better yet, send me masks, etc. I promise if you do, I will photograph myself and the item and post it.

Green Tip of the Post: Try the following as replacements:

1. Cloth napkins instead of paper ones. They can be washed and reused. In you don't have enough cloth napkins, try hand towels (my favorite) instead.

2. Use special dusting tools, like the microfiber dust cloth that I bought last week that can be reused rather than buying those easy to use dusting wipes. If you don't want to pay $8 dollars for a dusting thingee like I did, use an old t-shirt, etc. till its not usable anymore. Either way, use something that you can wash just don't use an old pair of drawers (you know what I'm talking about), those skid marks might not attract the dust and why do you want to handle those anyway?

3. Like paper plates? Most paper and foam plates are bad for the environment, whether in the production or disposal stage, try these instead. As you can imagine, we use paper plates for our house and events, but at least these are made from natural ingredients that won't harm the environment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to clarify "a little us time" was getting a smooch in the kitchen when he got home. That's it!! :0

Our Family News. said...

Yea,Yea Baby Girl! WELCOME HOME
I have really enjoyed all of this. Hope you will keep up the good writing.

JW

Zwei Baby said...

Thanks for clarifying that Elizabeth! Those dogs are hilarious....wonder if we could Selmon dressed up like that?
I'm looking forward to hearing how things are going for the girls now that schools in.
OCD...really? Now I've learned something new about you today.