Saturday, May 31, 2008

Whole lotta a working going on ...

I hope everyone in the cyber world is doing great. For the girls and I, summer has officially kicked into high gear.

After returning from our vacation, I hit the road again for another trip through Mississippi. If anyone has some cool eateries or haunts in the southeast portion of the state, please send them to me. I will be spending a LOT of time over the next three months in that portion of the state and would love a few ideas on places to go.

Speaking of work, I dont think that I mentioned that Big E recently earned a promotion at work. I big congratulations goes out to her on the promotion.

Big E and I started working to complete the replacement of our fence. Last year we spent a few weekends replacing the planks down one side of the fence. Due to a lack of funding, we had to delay that project (that sounded kinda official, lack of funding, yada yada yada, sign me up for politics). However, we managed to get back into full gear over the Memorial Day Weekend. So far we've moved the front of the fence back to where we want it and are well on our way to completing the back of the fence. Big E is an excellent fence building partner and can handle a hammer like a pro.

We moved the fence back about thirty feet in order to give us room to expand the drive way. We need to create an additional parking area for Jessica's car. We've decided to take on this challenge ourselves. We've never done any concrete work, but our neighbor is a concrete guy and agreed to guide us through the process. Right now, we are in the process of digging out the area. Maybe I should say the girls are in the process of digging out the area (free labor!!!) and they are doing a great job. Once we get the area dug out, we are going to split a truck load of concrete with the neighbor (he is pouring himself a new walkway).

In addition, we left a small area to create a new flower and sitting area. I cant wait to see what Big E designs for that area.

Our other project is the girls bathroom. We are planning to replace the tile on the floor and surrounding the tub area. The floor tile started to crack and the grout in tub area is in really bad shape to the point that one tile fell off the wall. We need to get this done soon, so we are not going to attempt it ourselves. We are talking with contractors now for estimates, etc.

Once we select the contractor, I hope that he is prepared to teach me a few things. I hope that once the bathroom is complete, I will have learned enough about tiling that I can redo the front entrance.

As you can see, we have a lot of work ahead of us this summer. I hope that we can get everything completed in time to sit back and enjoy a little of the summer when we are finished.

Changing subjects, have you ever really noticed some of the odd topics that get discussed at dinner? With the girls, I generally dont get too many words in at dinner, so I have plenty of opportunity to listen or watch whatever is playing on the TV. Last night I watched the Mexican national soccer team play the Russian National soccer team at one of the local Mexican eateries. Only paying half attention to the conversation, I heard one of the girls announce that she shouldnt have eaten the spicy food since she was due to start her monthly cycle soon. WHAT?!?!?!!!!!!

Now, its not bad enough that the table topic has turned to the monthly cycle, but we are in a public restaurant and she isnt the softest talker in the world. Waiter!!! Get me a beer, please. We are sitting no more than two feet from the table beside us, there is another directly behind us, and many more in every other direction. Do we have to discuss the effects of spicy food on the mother nature? Worse, the conversation became a comparison opportunity. "Well, I cant eat this ...". "Well, I cant eat that ...". Blah blah blah.

Well, at least we werent discussing one of their other favorite topics; farting. I thought I lived with a bunch of girls, but sometimes I think they are really boys dressed like girls. No, that cant be right, they dont even dress like girls half the time........

Its my life ....

No comments: