Thursday, March 13, 2008

Its been three weeks since the last post. I guess I've been trying to recuperate from the 5K. There have been a couple of things going on at the Lee House, so here is a short update to catch everyone up ....

1. Lil Bit and I are signed up for another 5K. We are running the Vaughn Forest Baptist Church 5K on the 5th of April. We are training hard for this race. Although I am not expecting much improvement for myself, but I am expecting a lot of improvement from Lil Bit.

Speaking of Lil Bit, that girl is really developing a her own stride. During one of our recent training runs, she informed me that I was not helping her rather I was hurting her training. Apparently the break neck speed that attain during my hard training sessions is not fast enough for her. I guess she has a problem being lapped by flying debris.

2. Big E continues to be a bit under the weather, so we are not expecting her to run with us this time. I personally think she is scared to get out there with me on the track.

3. Speaking of track, track season has officially started. Brooke and the ACA junior varsity had their first track meet this week. I'm not sure how the whole team placed, but for Brooke; the relay team (4 X 100) came in first place (Brooke runs the third leg) and on an individual basis she finished second in the javelin throw.

Now, for the real fun ...

1. Meemaw and Grandpa (Big E's mom and dad) are getting ready to buy a new house. They sold their existing home to Junior and Kim. So recently they took a trip to "the new house" because they wanted Charlie (their dog) to see the back yard. To set this up, the "new house" is an empty house. Upon entering the backyard, the privacy fence closed behind them. After a few minutes of watching Charlie run around, they decided to depart except ... the fence does not have a handle to be opened from the inside. Can you imagine? Grandpa is two days out from learning that he has gall stones and is taking pain medication and Meemaw is preparing herself to spend the night. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see that experience!!!!!!!!!

Let me say that neither of them had a cell phone on them.

It is my understanding that they went through several different efforts to get out of the yard. However, nothing seemed to work, one effort resulted in Grandpa actually trying to climb the fence and falling off back into the backyard. Finally, they resorted to Meemaw holding Grandpa up by pushing him up by his butt and Grandpa using a sign to latch onto the handle and opening the door.

I wish I could actually do that story the justice in writing that Meemaw does in telling it. It is without a doubt one of the funniest stories that I've ever heard.

2. Now, I must tell one on myself. With Big E being sick lately, feeding the family has fallen to me (what a good guy!!!). Until this week, everything has gone fairly well (no Mom, it hasnt been all pizzas and burritoes).

On Tuesday, I was trying to put together a chicken and rice casserole using Big Es instructions. During the cooking of the rice, I decided to check my email. I got distracted and lost track of time until .... I smelled the rice. Burning of course.

In a fit of rage (sadly, the girls heard most of the fit), I decided to throw the burning rice into the trash can. Of course, this burnt the plastic bag in the trash can (this as evident by the smoke coming from the trash can) which meant I needed to remove the trash bag from the can. Which further lead to burnt rice and other debris being thrown all over the floor. As you can imagine, this lead to more words of wisdom for the girls.

After finally coming to the conclusion that I needed to take the burnt bag and can straight to the trash can, I opened the door to find Big E getting out of her car. Obviously, she could smell the burnt rice, the neighbors could smell it. This resulted in two things ... one was Big E pucking (she had a headache!!!!) and I was immediately ejected from the kitchen. Needless to say, I took my ejection from the kitchen hard, as in I sat on my butt and drank a beer or four.

The next night we had Mellow Mushroom pizza!!!! Anyway, I promised that I would share that story.

I don't have any final words of wisdom or shout outs this week. I will return soon.

No comments: