Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Little Scare ...

Monday, my buddy BooBoo, was feeling pretty ill. To be honest, Ive never seen a cat projectile vomit with such violence. I was honestly scared for the little guy.

Now, I admit that its been a few years since BooBoo saw a vet. The reality is at his age, going for trips to the doctor are a rather dramatic event and he usually responds to those kinds of events by pee'ing EVERYWHERE.

However, after the poltergeist episode, I figured I would take him to the vet. The doctor took a quick look at him, looked at me and I figured it was time!!!! BooBoo has given me 15 years of fun so I was braced for the worst.

We agreed that a few tests would be necessary to determine the problem, so I left BooBoo with them and yes, he pee'd all over those poor people.

Around lunch, the vet called to inform me that BooBoo was fine except that he has diabetes. Diabetes!!!! Isnt one person in the house with diabetes enough? Now, in reality, the doctor explained that this was good news and promised that it can be controlled with daily shots (no, not the good kind of shots that you drink, actual needles being stuck into BooBoo).

I picked up BooBoo that afternoon. He was a shadow of himself but the doctor assured me that with a little diligence this can be handled. On Tuesday, BooBoo and I began our insulin shots. BooBoo takes the shot, I try to administer it. Its a team effort.

Its been half a week and BooBoo has figured out the pattern now. He hasnt started to hide yet, but he is a little skittish after eating especially when he sees me coming with the needle. Luckily, he is still a little weak so he cant escape. I have come very close to actually taken the shot myself in my finger once.

If he continues to progress at his present pace, we should start to see his weight stabilize in the next couple of weeks.

No comments: